Sunday, March 01, 2020

Weekly Hikes in February

 Three Gorges Segment of Cumberland Trail, Mowbray Mountain

Our February hikes looked a little different from our January hikes. We had more rainy days, an unexpected snow day, and less people were able to join us overall. But true to my commitment, my boys and I hit the trail every single week during the month. We even squeezed in some extra hikes and outdoor activities.


We actually almost cancelled our first hike of the month. Most of our friends had decided not to come because of the rain and my boys were a bit miffed that I was going to make them go hike with the one girl who was able to come.


I promised my boys that we could get slushes from Sonic and the acquiesced.


It was at a location we had never visited before, and guess what? This turned out to be one of our favorite hikes. I'm so thankful we didn't skip. There was a waterfall to explore, big Indian Rock Houses (overhangs) and cracks in the bluff to climb through. And then the kids spent a solid thirty minutes making mud bombs. They were a muddy mess by the end, but everyone had a great time. This hike was the Three Gorges section of the Cumberland Trail on Mowbray Mountain, and even in the fog, it was so gorgeous!

Snow Day

A couple of days later we had a surprise snow. This wasn't a hike, but we enjoyed an entire day outside. Including sledding and pulling the kids around the neighborhood park behind our four wheeler.

Stringers Ridge Pump Track, Chattanooga

Then Daniel had a chance to take the boys to ride bikes with friends at the Stringers Ridge Pump Track. This was Isaac's first time to do this track on a real bike and he loved it. They all came home muddy and tired.

Mabbit Springs, Signal Mountain

Our second hike of the month was to Mabbit Springs. It was rainy and foggy and all of our people backed out. I almost didn't go. But things were derailing at our house and while I could have just sent everyone to their rooms (myself included) I thought it would be better to just go outside.


At first Jack was mad at me because I wouldn't let him climb around the rocks and waterfall like I normally would. Fast moving water is beautiful but it scares me. Thankfully being in nature helped his attitude (and mine!) even if there was no extra climbing on this particular day.

Hidden Hills Farm Maple Syrup Day, Collegedale

The same week as our Mabbit Springs hike, we had a chance to go to Hidden Hills Farm for their Maple Syrup Day.


This included horse rides and a hayride to learn how maple syrup is made. A big group from our co-op was able to join us for this outing and we all learned a ton. Jack was ready to go order materials from Amazon and start tapping the trees in our yard.

Dirt Bikes at the Park

That weekend the boys had the chance to get their dirt bikes out with friends. This was the first time in several months they have been on their dirt bikes. They were over the moon.

Rainbow Lake, Signal Mountain

Some of our best friends had the day off for MLK day so we invited them to join us on a hike to Rainbow Lake. The best thing I heard was when my friend's son exuberantly shouted that this was the best day ever! I love to see kiddos test their limits, try new things, and see the outdoors up close. It is the very best kind of thing.

Ritchie Hollow, Suck Mountain
 
Following this hike we met up with a few friends at the Ritchie Hollow Trail at the base of Suck Mountain. The kids loved exploring the waterfalls, climbing on big rocks, and building a fort with sticks. This is a trail we will be sure to come back to as spring makes its appearance. The last time we visited this trail, the mountain was in full bloom and it was spectacular.


Middle Creek, Signal Mountain

We did one final hike, just me and the boys, on a Tuesday to Middle Creek because it was a suuny day and there was threat of rain for Wednesday. There is something so soothing about hiking in the woods next to a creek. The boys could spend hours throwing rocks into the creek and building little dams with small stones.

Fall Creek Falls State Park

On the last day of the month Jack's cub scout troop had a cold-weather camp out at Fall Creek Falls to earn their Polar Bear badge. It was a cold day (in the 30s) and even colder night (in the 20s). But it was perfect for hiking down to the falls. Daniel wondered if Isaac would be able to handle the 2.5 mile hike (down and then back up a top of steep steps), but with all of this weekly hiking we've been doing, Isaac had no trouble.


I know that February can be a dreary month, but I also know that you can find joy in the outdoors, regardless of the weather. We sure did.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...