Friday, March 13, 2020

CVSD: Day 2

I developed a cough a couple of days ago. No fever. Most likely allergies. Should I be concerned?


It's Friday the 13th. This week there was a full moon and a time change. There's a meme going around about how we are all doomed. It's hard not to feel that way. And for some unknown reason, there is a toilet paper shortage! It's becoming quite the joke.

Daniel dutifully went to work. I sent him a list of things to grab at the grocery store on his way home. It's the end of my normal shopping week and we are completely out of meat. If the country is shutting down, it seems like we should freeze at least some meat.

Daniel texted me from Aldi around 4pm. There were slim pickings there: No coffee. No chicken. No ground beef. No eggs. He grabbed bacon and strawberries and some non perishables. We decided I would run to the local grocery store on our mountain once he got home.

Pruetts was packed when I arrived at 5pm, but it was sufficiently stocked. Part of me felt guilty for putting three pounds of ground beef and three packs of chicken in my shopping cart, but there was plenty left and we can always share. Most importantly I was able to pick up a couple of bags of coffee!

The boys played with a neighbor until dark, and I wondered if we would have to put a stop to neighborhood play at some point. I feel good about them being outside in the fresh air. And it doesn't seem like a virus would spread through sword fighting with sticks. It's supposed to rain every day for the next two weeks. I think we will make sure to do daily hikes. The Y has officially closed for the next month. Preschool is suspended and co-ops are stopped for at least the next two weeks.

Today, in particular I have contemplated how thankful I am to get to be with my kids every day. They drive me crazy sometimes but I am so incredibly grateful for the moments we get together on a daily basis. I'm thinking a lot about my friends who work full time and how this is going to affect them. Even if they work from home, it will be more of a challenge to be with their kids and get their work done.


With all of the things I'm worried about, I am also encouraged. There is a video floating around the internet about quarantined people in Italy singing together from their balcony windows. I see posts online of people reaching out to neighbors and it makes me believe that there is goodness in humanity. And I thank God for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...