Thursday, March 12, 2020

CoronaVirus Social Distancing (CVSD): Day 1

I woke up to news on Facebook that Italy is under a country-wide quarantine for the Corona Virus. There are so many sick that doctors are having to choose which patients to treat and which to let die. I wrestled with that idea all day.

Daniel dropped Isaac at preschool. Jack finished his morning work and I dropped him at his co-op at the YMCA across town. I ran my own errands before heading to my class at the Y. It was a small class. The thought of quarantine was on everyone's minds. I silently wondered if we were in the last days of normal. Would this be my last class at the Y? Would my parents be okay? So many people were on my mind.

My brother texted to say that one of the staff at Vanderbilt had tested positive for the virus. He's worried. My sister (a nurse) responded, "Wash your hands!" Daniel texted to say TVA might have most employees work from home for the next two weeks.

I finished my workout, took a shower and headed to pick up Jack. We popped into Duck Donuts for a treat and finished up Language Arts for the day. Again I contemplated if this would be a last moment for us for awhile.

On our drive across town Daniel texted again to say that Hamilton County schools would be closing their doors for the next two weeks. Jack wanted to know if he gets to skip school too. Hah! He's homeschooled, there is no skipping...

My good friend, Jordan, picks up Isaac from preschool on Thursdays. Every week we pop in so our kids can play and we can visit. Jordan and I are both worried. We are concerned about kids who might not be able to eat in the coming weeks because they depend on schools. We worry about family members and neighbors who are already immune compromised. We both wonder about our parents who live far away from us. It's a heavy afternoon. The kids play, mostly oblivious to our conversation.

Daniel comes home and says his particular department has yet to approve working from home. He has a meeting in the morning. We hope they will tell them to stay at home...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...