Thursday, March 19, 2020

CVSD: Day 8

Many of the groceries stores in our area are having an early opening for people in high-risk categories for Covid-19, specifically the elderly. It is heartwarming to see our community (and others across our country) pulling together in ways like this.

We decided I should venture out to get our next round of groceries today, so I headed to Walmart as soon as I had coffee made. It has been six days since I have left our neighborhood. It was a little strange to be back among people, albeit strangers.

Everyone was polite, giving space as necessary. A couple of times I found myself facing another costumer in a grocery aisle and we both turned and went the opposite direction instead of passing shoulder-to-shoulder. I read a funny meme that said, "We used to cough to cover our farts, now we fart to cover our coughs." A cough definitely gets you a stink eye these days.

Since we are at home and eating every meal, I had a full list of items that needed replenishing. The store was fairly well stocked with printed signs indicating that you were only to take one or two of some things (like bread and milk). The only aisle I saw that was truly depleted was the pasta and rice aisle. All that was left was a top shelf of lasagna noodles. I guess we aren't to the point of making lasagna from scratch yet! There were also no frozen waffles. My boys will be bummed, but we have plenty of other fresh food to eat.

I did self-checkout, even with a cart-full of food. It took forever, but we are trying to limit contact with people afterall. When I got home, I carried the groceries down to the front door where Daniel took everything out of bags and had the boys carry each item to the kitchen to put away. Then I threw away all the plastic bags and went straight to take a shower. This may be overkill, but we are trying not to take extra chances with the outside world –– how strange is all of this?

I can tell that I haven't been around other people much. I have been much shorter with my boys. Daniel has been on the phone non-stop all week, with very little time to talk with us. So even though he's home, he's not really here (i.e. no adult conversation). I did manage a 30-minute workout after lunch, that helped my mood but I miss talking with my friends in real life.

Today was a gorgeous day. No rain and warmer temps. The sunshine felt so good, but it also brings concerns of storms. We are in tornado season now. I find myself checking the weather app, not just for where we live, but for where my parents and other family members live as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...