Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Cream

Growing up, Daniel's family made Snow Cream any time that it snowed. Living in the south, snow doesn't happen all that often so it was a special treat. I, on the other hand, had never had or even heard of Snow Cream until I met Daniel. I'm not sure how that happened since my mom is Canadian and we lived in Canada for 3 years when I was a kid and experienced snow as a normal part of life... do Canadians make Snow Cream/did my family just miss out on Snow Cream 101???


Anyways, with 6+ inches of snow on the ground in northern Alabama we decided to take the opportunity to make this dessert. Daniel called his mom for the recipe and we made it with ingredients that we had on hand.


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup half and half {we used fat-free vanilla Coffeemate}
  • 1 cup sugar {I suggested that Daniel leave this out since the Coffeemate was already sweetened. He insisted which made for some really sweet Snow Cream}
  • 1 tsp vanilla {we included a cap-full of vanilla even though the Coffeemate was flavored}
  • fresh, clean snow

Directions:
Mix with beater, adding snow until proper consistency.


In the future, if using vanilla Coffeemate, we would skip the sugar altogether and add it at the end as needed. This turned out to be a very decadent dessert. Yay for snow. We considered making a grown-up version and adding a little Kalhua, but decided against it because we thought that the alcohol might melt the snow... maybe we will test that out tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...