Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Recipe: Turkey, Vegetable and Orzo soup

My sister-in-law recently introduced me to Orzo. It is found in the pasta aisle, but it looks like a large-grain rice. She made a Tomato Orzo soup that Daniel and I really enjoyed and I have worked to recreate it. I plan to post this recipe another time but I want to try a couple more variations first. 

Anyways, I had leftover turkey from a turkey dinner I cooked last week and I decided that Turkey and Dumplings would hit the spot on a cold day in January. While looking through my cupboards for ingredients, I realized that I had some leftover Orzo and decided to use it in lieu of dumplings. I love dumplings, but the Orzo turned out to be a good alternative.


I based my recipe on this Chicken and Dumpling recipe from The Way The Cookie Crumbles. I highly recommend the Chicken and Dumplings, but if you have leftover turkey or want to try something new, this Turkey, Vegetable and Orzo soup was delicious.

Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped 
  • 3 carrots, peeled and cut in quarter-inch rounds
  • 3 celery ribs, chopped
  • ¼ cup red wine
  • 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth {I used 4 cups leftover from boiling my turkey and 2 cups of chicken stock from the store}
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 teaspoon parsley leaves
  • 1 pound of turkey {I used what I got off the bone after boiling and removing from the bone}
  • table salt and ground black pepper
  • 3/4 box of Orzo

Directions
  • Saute the onion, carrots and celery in the olive oil.
  • Add turkey {or chicken} stock and red wine and bring to a boil.
  • Add leftover turkey, salt, pepper, thyme and parsley and simmer for about 10 minutes.
  • Turn stove to high and bring to a rolling boil. 
  • Add the Orzo and cook for an additional 9 minutes. 

Yields 6 meal-size servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...