Saturday, March 24, 2012

Banana Baked French Toast


There are not a whole lot of recipes that I make more than once. But on occasion, I come across one that I keep in my back pocket as a "go to" for special occasions. One of my all-time favorites to make for breakfast when we have company is Pioneer Woman's Blueberry Baked French Toast. It is seriously amazing.

Since I don't like to repeat recipes, I got it in my head that I could experiment with the flavor of PWs recipe. I think it would be great with different kinds of fruit {like bananas, apples, peaches or blackberries}.

I had some very ripe bananas in my freezer, so I decided to branch out and make the PW recipe with a twist. It was delicious. Next time: peaches.

Banana Baked French Toast
Ingredients
1 Bag Stacy's Pita Chips {Simply Naked} 
7 large eggs
2 3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup Vanilla CoffeeMate
1/2 cup sugar
3 ripe bananas
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
Directions
Grease 9 x 13 inch baking pan with butter (or cooking spray). Pour in bag of pita chips and arrange evenly. 

In a bowl mix together eggs, milk, cream, sugar and bananas.

Pour egg mixture over pita chips. Cover pan tightly with foil {or lid} and place in refrigerator overnight {minimum six hours}.
 

Preheat oven to 350º degrees. Remove pan from refrigerator.  

Mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Slice butter and add to bowl, then use pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour mixture. 

Sprinkle flour mixture on top of the casserole, making sure that it is evenly distributed. 

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. Serve plain or with syrup and/or whipped cream if you are want to be decadent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...