Thursday, March 01, 2012

I would walk 500 miles (February Recap)

I ended the month of January with a measly 4.5 miles. February was a little better at 6.6 miles {all run}. That brings me to 11.1 for the year. I have a mighty long way to go before I hit 500. I am hoping the warm weather continues and I can clock some longer runs. The good news is that I am building on my endurance and am up to 2.2 miles of continuous running.

Coming back from being pregnant, I am pretty happy with my current ability to run 2+ miles at a time.

Some thoughts on jogging with a stroller...
It is a lot more difficult that running without one. The biggest challenge for me is running hills {my least favorite thing}. I have a bad habit of leaning on my stroller. This makes me hunch, which makes my back fatigue more quickly. I have discussed possible stroller modifications with my husband {who happens to be an engineer}. My idea is to add bicycle handle bar extensions. Daniel thought this was a great idea.
This is the kind of handle bar extension on my mountain bike. Image found here.
Strollers are nice in that I have plenty of places to store any extras that I need to carry... keys, iPod, phone, water, etc.
I get a lot of interest from strangers when I am running with a stroller on the local high school cross country course. I have actually had two different men stop me to comment on how impressed they are that I am out with a stroller. I am just glad that I can get out and exercise and that Jack is such a content little guy.
I am not exactly on track to make it to 500 miles, but you never know how the rest of the year will play out. Hopefully I can keep increasing my weekly mileage and make some headway on this lofty goal of mine. 

4.38 miles in January >> 6.66 miles in February

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...