Sunday, May 24, 2020

CVSD: Day 74 (Mother's Day Make-up)


Every year we try to go on some kind of adventure for Mother's Day. Often we hike. We have paddled our kayaks (one year we paddled through the lock at Chickamauga). And we have taken bike rides. Every year is a different adventure. Kind of like motherhood.


This year we had to postpone our Mother's Day adventure. But on Memorial weekend we were finally able to go. My pick was the Huckleberry Knob hike on the Cherohala Skyway.


If I am being truthful, I am generally the kind of person who doesn't like to do the same trip twice. However, I am finding that there is joy in repeating experiences and finding something, or somewhere, you truly love and returning again and again.


This was our third trip to Huckleberry Knob, and perhaps the best. As we drove, we all recognized different landmarks. Mostly random places we have stopped to let the kids pee on the side of the road over the years! Hah!


The first time we came, I carried Isaac to the top on my back and Jack probably whined about the two-mile walk. Last year, Isaac was the one doing the whining. This year, they raced each other to the top, and then back to the car!


Jack had the idea to bring his kite this year. Initially I told him no. But after explaining that whatever he brought he would have to carry, we came to an agreement. He carried his kite, as well as his own snacks and water, and his rain jacket. Isaac volunteered to carry his own backpack with snacks and water as well. We have come a long way from that first time of me carrying Isaac and Daniel carrying all the other stuff!


Hiking and adventuring with my little family is probably my greatest joy in life. I look forward to returning to Huckleberry Knob again. 


Thankfully, even though it was raining all around us, and we even heard some thunder in the distance, we didn't get rained on!


After our hike, we drove back down the mountain with Isaac insisting that Daniel drive Hyper Speed while he gleefully laughed in the back. We got back down to an open restaurant that is creek side that we have stopped at before. 


I took the kids to wade in the water, while Daniel braved the line. People were fairly good about distancing themselves. We enjoyed coke floats and hot dogs (for the kids) by the creek. It was a lovely day. 


Past Mother's Day Adventures:
Monte Sano Hike (a couple of weeks after Mother's Day), 2012
Hays Nature Preserve (a couple of weeks post Mother's Day), 2013
Family Time (no Adventure as Isaac was just a month old), 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...