Monday, March 01, 2021

Field Trip to the Tennessee Aquarium

 
 
Our last trip to the Tennessee Aquarium was five and a half years ago! So when a friend said she had extra tickets for kids and asked if we wanted to tag along, I decided to change our school plans and make it a field trip day.


 
 
First up was the River Aquarium where we checked out the otters. 
 
 
 
Isaac was a baby on our last visit, so he was extra excited. But both boys had a great morning. The sharks were their favorites, but I think the giant rays and turtles, as well as monster catfish and gar were a close second.

 
 
After an hour of walking through the River Aquarium, we made our way to the Ocean Aquarium Building. First up is the touch tank. Isaac was really nervous about touching the rays, but finally got the courage (after he realized that his arm was wet for 'no reason' if he didn't find some courage). Both boys thought the rays felt slimy.
 
 
 
 
The penguins are always my favorite. A few of them were swimming while we were there. They are so funny to watch pop up out of the water and onto the dry ground with no use of arms.
 
 

 
Normally the kids enjoy climbing through the exhibits, where you can pop your head up under water, but all of those exhibits were blocked off due to Covid. We still enjoyed viewing the giant crabs and other sea creatures through the glass.



We finally made it to the shark tank (saved the best for last!). Watching the giant sea turtle and manta rays and sharks are always a favorite. I could sit by these tanks for hours.


We ended our morning at the aquarium by walking under the shark tanks. There were a couple of divers cleaning the tanks while we were there and the kids got a kick out of waving to the divers as they worked.


 
Most of our activities over the last year have been outside and maskless, so two hours with a mask on was a pain. But I am glad we went.


I know the Aquarium has taken a financial hit this year due to Covid. So if you have the opportunity to go and support this local landmark of our community, I would encourage you to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...