Monday, March 22, 2021

Moores Go West: Day 4 (Rifle Falls and Utah)

We camped at Rifle Falls State Park last night. I had read about an ice cave here I was hoping to see. Unfortunately the ice was all melted from milder days this month. But we still enjoyed this beautiful waterfall, a short hike from our campsite. 

This was our 19th hike in 2021 (19/52), we walked 2.5 miles which brings us to 55 miles hiked this year.

We made it to our fourth campground. It was another late night for us. Errands in Grand Junction, CO took longer than we anticipated. Our original plan was to drive to Midway, Utah and see the Homestead Crater. We made a last minute decision to drive a shorter distance and head due north to Dinosaur National Monument. This took us over Douglass Pass after dark. Daniel says it’s the scariest road he has ever driven. I felt like I was going to throw up (from fear) as we neared the top. The guard rail didn’t feel very encouraging. It was beautiful though. Thankfully no ice on the roads. Coming off the pass, we came across several herds of elk. We were glad they were not skittish and made their way out of the road when they saw us. We are all a bit road weary at this point. Tomorrow we will visit the Dinosaur Monument and then head west. We made it to Utah! I think we are at around 1,800 miles of driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...