Saturday, April 04, 2020

CVSD: Day 24

We have now been home for 24 days straight. I've gone out twice for groceries and Daniel had to go on site for work twice in that time. He also ran some errands yesterday knowing that the shelter-in-place would take affect today. The kids have left our neighborhood once in that time period (we went on a family hike on a neighboring mountain). Other than that, we have allowed bike riding and walks around our neighborhood.

I am finding that we are fairly suited to this self isolation thing. I have a feeling that our yearly camping trips (ranging from 3-3.5 weeks) have played a part in helping our family cope with being on our own. While we are all missing our friends, Daniel is really missing being in the field for work. Being chained to our dining room table and his phone for 8+ hours a day has been hard on him.

A few things I am doing differently over the last few weeks: I've been baking bread each week. I am a lot more conscious of leftovers and not letting food go to waste. And we recently started a compost pile – Jack is determined to grow some food this year and he spearheaded the compost idea. I think we will be starting a small vegetable garden as part of our homeschooling. We live on a really wooded lot, but I think we can find enough sunshine to support a 3x3 bed.

The kids have slept outside for 5 of the last 7 nights (two of those nights we made them stay in because it was cold). They are pretty determined to continue to sleep on the porch. At the end of this pandemic, if the only thing our kids remember is that they got to sleep in cushions fort for months on end, I will call that a win for their childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...