Wednesday, April 08, 2020

CVSD: Day 28

We have been trying to space out our weekly grocery trips to about ten days apart. This means a big shopping trip, and no we aren't hoarding. These trips make me thankful for the pre-quarantine days when I could hit up the grocery two or more times a week. This is one luxury that I am looking forward to in the future.

I geared up this morning, making a homemade mask and putting laundry baskets in the car with lysol wipes. Masks are now recommended for all Americans and our local grocery stores are limiting the number of customers allowed in at one time.

I arrived around 9:30am and walked right in. My mask was hot and itchy. Most other shoppers had masks, some did not.

Easter is on Sunday and Isaac's 5th Birthday is in 10 days. I picked up some goodies for an Easter Egg Hunt and Easter Baskets. I couldn't bring myself to look at Easter outfits. I also snagged some egg decorating kids and decorations for a birthday party. We are ordering Isaac's gifts online... hopefully they will get here in time.

As I walked through the store, most customers were cautious and polite with kind eyes peering out over masks. Since I had so much to buy, I noticed that by the time I was ending my shopping, the aisles were getting more crowded. I just did my best to stay 6 feet away from people.

In the baking aisle, I stopped an employee to ask if there was any yeast available as I had been unable to locate any. The poor man immediately directed me to stand back 6 feet. He was definitely on edge. I gave him his space and he softened and said that he didn't think they had any yeast. I thanked him and started to walk off when he spoke up, curious about yeast. He mentioned that the yeast had flown off the shelves and he had bought some, but was unsure what to do with it. Even so, he figured it was important since it kept selling out. I told him I used it to make bread since we are only allowed one loaf. A loaf lasts my family about three days, so I have been supplementing with homemade bread. He had no idea and thanked me for clearing up this great mystery for him. It was nice to have a conversation with another human. Even if we were speaking through masks.

I finished up my shopping and went to wait in a long check-out line. The poor lady working the the check-out looked exhausted and worried. I told her that I appreciated her being there. There are so many people I appreciate but I'm not always great at telling them. These days I am trying my best to let people know that I appreciate them.

After getting my groceries wiped down with Lysol wipes and loaded into the car, I headed home where my boys put all the groceries away while I showered and decontaminated myself. Any time I go to the store (this is my third trip in four weeks), Isaac gives me a big hug and thanks me for buying all of his favorite foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...