Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Weekly Hike: Big Soddy Gulf

 

I try to make plans for our weekly Wednesday hiking group sometime on Monday. This gives me a chance to decide whether or not I think the weather for our usual time on Wednesday is going to be good for our weekly hike.

 
Tomorrow it's supposed to rain all afternoon, so I decided we should hike on Thursday afternoon since it had rained hard this weekend and I wanted to give the trails a chance to dry out.


 
Today actually ended up being a really gorgeous afternoon with sunshine and highs in the low 70s. So when one of our friends asked a few of the normal hiking crew if we wanted to meet up for an impromptu hike at Big Soddy Gulf, I coudn't say no.
 
 
 
This is one of my favorite things about homeschooling: if the weather is nice you can set the books aside and do something fun with no strings attached. We will come back to the book work and make up for it another day, but today, we could enjoy the sunshine, nature and our friends.
 
 
We typically save Big Soddy Gulf for warm days so the kids can hop in the water, but it turned out to be a beautiful hike with the creek swollen from the recent rain. I have never seen it flowing so hard. We got a bonus in finding a waterfall that isn't normally there during dryer seasons.
 

And the kids all still managed to get wet and sandy at the beach as we wrapped up our hike.


Big Soddy Gulf was hopping with people today. This was the most people I have seen on this trail. I miss the days before everyone knew about Big Soddy Gulf and you had the place to yourself. However, I am happy to see so many people taking advantage of this beautiful spot and getting outside.


We hiked 3 miles this afternoon (20 miles YTD). I am worn out because this was right after my outdoor bootcamp class! This was our 7/52 hike for the year. We will still be hiking on Thursday.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...