Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Weekly Hike: Cumberland Trail Mowbray Mountain

 

Today was another gorgeous day to be out in the woods. We had some new families join us this week. Thankfully I don’t think we scared them off with our chaotic way of doing child-led hikes. 

One of the new families was literally a mother who noticed our outing last week and was courageous enough to ask what we were doing. I invited her to tag along this week, and she stepped out on faith today and came with two of her kids.

Her family moved here last March from California and they were really missing community. I know everyone is missing community, but I can’t imagine relocating during the last year. 

Our hiking group always reminds me a little of the scene of the Von Trap children from the movie The Sound of Music when they are all hanging from trees and yelling happily to one another. 

We may have scared off some climbers who were trying to enjoy the peace of a quiet afternoon of bouldering, but the children had a wonderful time exploring and being wild and free. Lest you think our hiking trips are docile Sound of Music hikes in beautiful mountains, the kids also remind me a little of Lord of the Flies...

As always, time spent visiting with other mothers and just being in nature was therapeutic, the three miles of of walking, plus time in the sunshine and vitamin D are getting this group through each week.


Hiked 3 miles (12.5 miles YTD). This is 3/52 hikes for the year. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...