Thursday, January 21, 2021

Weekly Hike: Blue Blazes Trail

Each week, the hiking group I lead gets to experience a new adventure.

Sometimes we revisit places we have become familiar with. Sometimes, like yesterday, we try out new trails. Being in the woods with friends never disappoints, regardless of where we end up.

This week we hiked the Blue Blazes Trail at Moccasin Bend. It was a 2.5 mile loop through swamp with a midway point next to the Tennessee River. The kids all had a wonderful time checking out the swamp, exploring side ravines, and taking an extended break at the river to throw rocks into the water.


Even though we had not had recent rain, the trail was still a bit muddy. But no one seemed to mind. The second half of the trail was raised boards that the kids had fun running across.


It was a perfect afternoon with beautiful weather and great company.

Each week the core part of group shows up, but there are often a few new faces. I am grateful to be leading a group where everyone is so welcoming to newcomers.  

After the hike was over, a few of us lingered and the kids built lean-to shelters in the woods from fallen branches. They even broke bark off a dead log and used it to cover one of the forts. I’m guessing they took inspiration from the recent book we read, The Birchbark House.

 
This hike marked our 4th hike of the year. I have a personal goal of wanting to hike 52 times this year. I am pretty confident that the kids and I will hit that mark.
 

Hiked 3 miles (15.5 miles YTD). This is 4/52 hikes for the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...