Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Independence Day Weekend: Chattanooga


To kick off our Independence Day experience in Chattanooga, we headed down to the riverfront on July 3rd. Our original plan had been to attend Pops on the River in Coolidge Park. This would have involved listening to a symphony for two hours in the park, followed by watching the fireworks over the river.


Unfortunately Daniel got off work late, so we altered our plans slightly. We picked up dinner to go from Shufords BBQ at the base of Signal Mountain then headed downtown. Since we were late, we had to park close to the courthouse and walk back to the river. 


About halfway across the Walnut Street pedestrian bridge, we decided to claim a spot and wait for the fireworks to start. As a bonus we could still hear the symphony from the bridge.


The weather was amazing and Jack was in good spirits since I had him take an extra long nap. While we waited, we people watched and enjoyed our very late dinner (it was 9:30pm). As usual, our food from Shufords didn't disappoint. We especially loved the banana pudding.


The fireworks were big and beautiful. In addition to the symphony, patriotic music also played – including lots of songs that remind me of Independence Day when I was a kid. This made me tear up a little and I was glad to be sharing these types of experiences with my little family.


Initially Jack really seemed to be in awe of the display, but by the end I think it got to be too loud for him because he buried his head in Daniel's arms.


After the great fireworks display, we made the long walk back to our car with the rest of Chattanooga. I'm glad we had our BOB stroller, it helped carry all of our stuff and Jack had a comfy ride back to the car.


This was a great way to kick off our Independence Day celebration. I'm so grateful for those who have served to give us the freedoms we experience today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...