Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Paint with More Colors

I don’t claim to know much about music. Actually beyond my personal music collection and preferences I know very little. However I do know a lot about design and I can recognize good design in its various formats.
 
Awhile ago Ethos3 worked on a marketing piece for O’brien Amps. What struck me about this company is that they perceived a problem in the design in existing amps and they set about to create an amp that would meet their needs and desires. “…there are a bunch of great amps out there, but they all made me feel like a painter with only two colors on the palette. It's the in-betweens that matter, the tones that you just can't get to with a channel switching amp. The in-betweens allow you to truly express yourself,” - Tim O'Brien.

Tim knew there had to be a way to create a great product out of something that had been around for a while. He wanted to be able to express himself musically with a simplified amp that would give him more control and allow him to paint with more colors. To me good design is all about simplifying and making things more beautiful and easier to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word for the Year: Reframe

For fifteen years now, I have been starting my year with intention. Last year I hoped to find contentment in my life, and I believe I did. T...